OWNER WARNS DON’T LOSE FAITH IN “HARRY”
- Provincial Racing NSW
- Sep 21, 2025
- 3 min read
KEEP the faith!
That’s the message from the Private Harry camp after the star Newcastle sprinter tasted defeat for the first time in six starts at Royal Randwick yesterday.
A heavily supported $2.15 favorite, the four-year-old finished fifth (beaten four and a half lengths) to fellow The Everest rival Joliestar ($4.80) in the $1m Group 2 The Shorts (1100m).
Despite his defeat, the $20m The Everest (1200m), the richest race on turf at Randwick on October 18, remains firmly on the agenda.
Private Harry was the first horse selected to contest this year’s race, courtesy of Yu Long
Investments, which bought into the stallion earlier this year.
Kurrinda Bloodstock principal Sean Driver, though understandably downcast to see the son of Harry Angel’s unbeaten record come to an end, is adamant there were plausible excuses for Private Harry’s unplaced result.
“On face value, I can understand punters thought he may have looked disappointing,” Driver said today.
“But he knuckled over badly at the start and, after viewing the stewards’ film, I can’t believe he stayed on his feet.
“Then he was bumped by Briasa (eventual runner-up and which finished fourth to Private Harry in the Group 1 The Galaxy (1100m) at Rosehill Gardens in March).
“Private Harry chased out after the leader Mazu, and the sectionals he ran for the first 700m were astonishing.
“As a result, it was no wonder he couldn’t get the job done. I’m realistic enough to know that he might not have beaten Joliestar on the day, but he should have
been in the first three. We certainly haven’t lost faith, and at this stage it is still all systems go to The Everest. All going well, he will line up in the Group 2 Premiere Stakes (1200m) at Randwick on Saturday week as his final lead-up.”
Whereas The Shorts was run at set weights plus penalties, Private Harry carried 58kg (including a 3kg penalty for his The Galaxy victory), the Premiere will be run at weight-for-age. Questioned afterwards by RacingNSW stewards, jockey Ash Morgan, who has partnered Private Harry in all six starts, said after the early trouble he was required to ride the horse along for a short distance to have him hold his spot in a prominent position.
He said Private Harry travelled strongly through the middle stages, but had to put him under
pressure soon after straightening, whereby the horse failed to respond to his riding and close off the race.
Stewards also questioned trainer Nathan Doyle, and reported he felt Private Harry was not suited by being ridden along in the early stages after losing ground at the start, which caused the horse to travel too strongly in the middle stages.
Doyle undertook to report back to stewards on Private Harry’s post-race condition in subsequent days.
Bookmakers reacted quickly to Private Harry’s first loss by more than doubling his price for The Everest. A $6 second favorite prior to The Shorts, he is now at $13.
Hong Kong champ Ka Ying Rising, who has won his last 13 starts (including four Group 1s) at home, is scheduled to arrive in Sydney tomorrow (Monday).
He continues to dominate betting as a $1.70 favorite.
Meanwhile, leading Newcastle trainer Kris Lees has confirmed Sydney jockey Nash Rawiller will ride Rivellino in Saturday’s $1m Group 1 Golden Rose Stakes (1400m) at Rosehill.
“Nash rode Rivellino for the first time when sixth to Tempted in the Group 2 Run To The Rose at Rosehill on September 13, and was keen to stick with him,” Lees said.
“The Run To The Rose was 1200m, and Rivellino’s performance was indicative of a horse looking for the Golden Rose distance.”
Rivellino is currently at $26 for the Golden Rose, with Tempted holding favoritism at $3.50. Story by John Curtis 21, September 2025. Photo by Bradley Photos.









Comments