top of page
Search

OUTSIDE DRAW NO BARRIER TO WINNING THE GONG, SAYS TRAINER

  • Provincial Racing NSW
  • Nov 20, 2025
  • 2 min read

PAUL Niceforo was gutted when Territory Express stood flat-footed when the barriers opened in the The Gong at Kembla Grange 12 months ago.

The gelding was a $7 second favorite and gave away many lengths start, yet still managed to beat five horses home in the 16-horse feature won by favorite Gringotts, a rival again in Saturday’s $1m feature.

He incurred a RacingNSW stewards’ ban, which has since been reversed and goes back to Kembla Grange on Saturday seeking redemption.

The trainer’s confidence about last year’s brilliant Provincial-Midway Championships Final winner wasn’t even dented when he drew barrier 20, and will jump from 16 in a capacity field for the Group 3 event.

“It’s better than barrier one, and Territory Express gets back anyway,” Niceforo said this morning.

“We’ve done so much work with him, and he showed that he is back on track with his first-up third in the Ladies Day Cup (1500m) at Hawkesbury a fortnight ago.

“Drawing an inside barrier beat him that day, as he made his run on the inferior inside section in the straight.

“Territory Express has done well since Hawkesbury, and I keep him away from the barriers between races.

“I’m very happy with him. He is at $34 this morning (Thursday), and that’s great odds.

“It would be terrific to go back and win The Gong after what happened last year.”


Given Territory Express’ past troubles, victory would be pretty special for Niceforo, who has only other horse, an unraced three-year-old filly, in work.

Jean Van Overmeire rode Territory Express in his first-up third to Harlem Queen and Well Timed in the Listed Ladies Day Cup (1500m) at Hawkesbury on November 8, and sticks with him.

“Jean has ridden him in jumpouts and trials and a couple of gallops, and deserves to stay with him,” Niceforo said.

Provided Territory Express races up to expectations on Saturday, the $2m Group 2 The Ingham (1600m) at Randwick on December 13 is his goal.

Dylan Gibbons has gained The Gong mount on Waterford, one of leading trainer Chris Waller’s two current runners; the other being Democracy Manifest (Zac Lloyd).

Waller also has third emergency Shadizi (Jay Ford), who needs one more withdrawal to sneak into the field.

Waller won the inaugural running of The Gong in 2019 with Mister Sea Wolf.

Victorian Steparty, third in last year’s race, came out yesterday and is staying home for Saturday’s $500,000 Cranbourne Cup (1600m), and Ciaron Maher also withdrew 2023 winner Detonator Jack when he drew poorly.

Maher still holds a very strong hand of course with the favorite Gringotts (Nash Rawiller), along with last year’s Caulfield Cup winner Duke De Sessa (Adam Farragher), and Victoria Road (Josh Parr).

. A “Good 4” rating was posted at 8am today for the 10-race program which begins at 12.35pm, and the rail is in the TRUE position.

Story John Curtis, November 20, 2025 - Pics Bradley Photos

 
 
 

Comments


© 2024 Provincial Racing NSW 
Powered by GoDaddy.com

bottom of page