top of page
Search

NEWCASTLE COLT CHASING A “COOL” GROUP 1 TRIUMPH

  • Provincial Racing NSW
  • Oct 12, 2025
  • 3 min read


AS one stable door closed, another has opened.

With star four-year-old Private Harry an unfortunate absentee from Saturday’s $20m The Everest at Royal Randwick, his younger three-year-old stablemate Hidden Motive has stepped up to the mark with a Group 2 victory en route to an interstate Group 1 assignment.

Kurrinda Bloodstock principal Sean Driver today confirmed blueblood Hidden Motive – a son of Group 1 winners Capitalist and Secret Agenda – will tackle the $2m Coolmore Stud Stakes (1200m) against his own age at Flemington on November 1 on the opening day of the Melbourne Cup carnival.

And the colt’s regular jockey Ash Morgan, who partnered him in defeating favored pair Beadman and Golden Slipper winner Marhoona in yesterday’s set weights Roman Consul Stakes (1200m) at Rosehill Gardens, has first refusal of the mount.

“If Ash wants to bypass the Randwick meeting (featuring the $10m Golden Eagle) that day, then he can ride Hidden Motive in the Coolmore,” Driver said.

Driver paid tribute to the colt’s Newcastle trainer Nathan Doyle, who has also prepared a sidelined Private Harry for five wins (including the $3m Magic Millions Sunlight Plate at the Sunshine Coast in January and Group 1 The Galaxy at Rosehill Gardens in March) of his seven starts to date.


Hidden Motive, given his pedigree, could have fetched infinitely more than the $120,000 the pair paid for him as Lot 150 at last year’s Magic Millions yearling sale at the Gold Coast.

“We both had him on our list,” Driver said.

“He should have brought a higher price, but had moderate sesamoiditis as a yearling.

“I wasn’t so sure about buying him, and full credit to Nathan. He was keen to get the colt and was confident he could manage him.

“Sesamoiditis (a condition characterised by inflammation of the sesamoid bones at the back of a horse’s fetlock joint) can be resolved if it is managed properly, and Nathan has certainly done that.

“He got Hidden Motive to the first two-year-old race of the season (he ran fourth in the Group 3 Breeders’ Plate, 1000m at Royal Randwick 12 months ago), and has now won a Group 2 with him.

“That was only Hidden Motive’s third start this campaign, and he will go next to the Coolmore in three weeks.

“Most likely Nathan will take him to Melbourne earlier, and give him either a gallop or trial at Flemington.

“I feel he is the type of horse who will handle the straight course at Flemington.”

Whilst it’s all go with Hidden Motive, Private Harry needs to have a good break and won’t be seen back at the track until next year.

“He has just arrived back today at our farm at Fordewich (near Broke in the Hunter Valley) after being assessed at Randwick Equine Centre,” Driver said.


“Private Harry has bone bruising in his near fore knee (he pulled up 2/5 lame after finishing fifth to Briasa in the Group 2 Premiere Stakes, 1200m at Randwick a week ago), and will be sidelined for at least three months.

“He will have two weeks’ box rest first, and gradually have further rehab in half-acre to one acre paddocks at the farm.

“It’s devastating of course to miss the spring, because we know the ability he has got.

“Tim Clark rode him in the Premiere, and said he was going to win comfortably when he got past the leader Mazu in the Premiere until he felt him change stride.

“All going well with his rehab, the Brisbane winter carnival could become a good option.”

. HOOFNOTE: Hidden Motive is at $18 in the latest TAB.com.au Coolmore market, with record-breaking Golden Rose winner Beiwacht the $3.20 favorite.

Story John Curtis, October 12, 2025

 
 
 

Comments


© 2024 Provincial Racing NSW 
Powered by GoDaddy.com

bottom of page