“MONTY” A GREAT RESULT FOR THE SEELIN FAMILY
- Provincial Racing NSW
- Jan 3
- 3 min read
WAYNE Seelin has notched more than 100 winners, including 16 with his now retired stable ace Isorich.
But his breakthrough winner of the season at Taree yesterday could not have been a better outcome.
Reason being that the Wyong trainer’s victory with Monty Be Quick was 25-year-old son’s Joel first ever winner with the first horse he has raced.
Seelin Jnr purchased the former Australian Bloodstock import for only $4750 at an Inglis online sale in late October.
Ridden by Grant Buckley, Monty Be Quick ($5.50) took up the running in the Benchmark 66 Handicap (2000m) and never let his rivals get past.
The six-year-old gelding safely held his opposition in the straight to easily defeat Dash By ($7) and Think We’re There ($4.40).
“Joel was with me at Taree, and naturally was thrilled to get his first winner,” Wayne Seelin said today.
“He wanted to race a horse, and had been carefully looking at the online sales for a few months.
“When Monty Be Quick was put up for sale after finishing last of 12 at Kembla Grange in early October, Joel thought he was the right horse to try to buy.
“He wasn’t prepared to outlay much more than he got him for.”
Seelin said Monty Be Quick had won a couple of provincial races (over 1500m at Kembla Grange in July 2024 and 1350m at Wyong 12 months), but had also put in some very inconsistent performances.
“Monty Be Quick is as sound as any horse I have, but we had to sort out a couple of things with him,” he said.
“I’m pretty confident we will see a more consistent horse from now on.”
Monty Be Quick was having his fifth start since joining Seelin’s small team, and picked up $13,950 to take his earnings to $26,450 for his new owner.
He had run second to Heaven Bound in a Provincial Benchmark 64 Handicap (1500m) at Hawkesbury on December 15, and was dropping back to country grade.
“Australian Bloodstock buy a lot of horses from the UK which shape as prospective stayers, and I wasn’t afraid to step him up to 2000m for the first time,” Seelin said.
“He pulled up super, and I’m sure we can find another suitable race for him in the coming weeks.
Seelin, who never keeps a lot of horses in work (currently seven), has an interesting six-year-old gelding called All Day Sucker, who is yet to race.
“I bred him from a mare (Feature) which I won 10 races with,” he said.
“He took a while to grow and then hurt his shoulder.
“I was going to give him six months off, but it finished up 18 months.”
Seelin also says 15-year-old Isorich is in great health at his property at Wyee.
Isorich faced the starter a remarkable 155 times and, apart from his 15 wins, also was placed on 37 occasions and earned just over $826,000 in a marvellous career.
. Monty Be Quick was one of three provincial winners at the Taree meeting.
Fellow Wyong trainer Nacim Dilmi took the Maiden Plate (1400m) with Bellevue ($2.70) to claim his 14th career success, providing Wyong apprentice Anna Roper with her first winner for him.
Leading Newcastle trainer Kris Lees made it 47 for the season when Lune D’Excellence ($6) was first home in the Super Maiden Handicap (1250m).
Lune D’Excellence was jockey Andrew Gibbons’ 480th winner for Lees.
STORY JOHN CURTIS, JANUARY 3, 2026 - PICS BRADLEY PHOTOS










Comments