LEES HOPING IT’S “TIME” TO STRIKE THE GONG AT KEMBLA GRANGE
- Provincial Racing NSW
- Nov 16, 2025
- 3 min read
KRIS Lees has called on Tommy Berry to clinch back to back victories in Kembla Grange’s $1m feature – but this time for the leading Newcastle trainer.
Berry is an important new rider for Tavi Time in the Group 3 The Gong (1600m) on Saturday.
In confirming Berry’s booking today, Lees said he hopes to have three runners in Illawarra Turf Club’s richest race.
He has also nominated Loch Eagle, runner-up in The Gong two years ago, and Provincial-Midway Championships Final runner-up Lord Of Biscay.
Luckless at his last start when eighht to Gringotts in the $3m Big Dance (1600m) at Royal Randwick on November 4, Tavi Time will both be seeking his 10th win and striving to lift his prizemoney earnings beyond the $1m mark.
The RacingNSW stewards’ report highlighted why Lees’ six-year-old should have been right in the finish of the Big Dance.
“Tavi Time was held up for clear running in the early part of the straight, and then near the 150m was disappointed for a run between two other horses,” the report said.
Berry won last year’s sixth running of The Gong on Big Dance winner Gringotts, who again will be a tough nut to crack.
Tavi Time had 57kg in the Big Dance and Gringotts 62kg, but the latter will have 1kg less under the Quality conditions of the Kembla Grange feature.
TAB.com.au posted an early market (prior to nominations being taken on Monday), and not surprisingly listed Gringotts as a $2.25 favorite, with Tavi Time on the third line of betting at $8, sharing that with Estadio Mestalla, sixth in yesterday’s $1m Group 2 The Hunter (1300m) at Newcastle, and Gringotts’ stablemate Vivy Air, runner-up in the Big Dance and then successful in the $2m Five Diamonds (1800m) at Rosehill Gardens four days later.
Talented Victorian Sabaj, who overcame a wide draw to score over 1600m at Flemington on November 8, has been entered and is the $6.50 second favorite.
The Mick Price and Michael Kent Jnr four-year-old has won four of his only seven starts, and his presence adds further interest to The Gong.
Yet another interesting nomination is last year’s Caulfield Cup winner Duke De Sessa, a stablemate of Gringotts and Vivy Air.
The seven-year-old has not raced since failing in the 3200m Group 1 Sydney Cup at Randwick in April, but was runner-up before that in both the Australian Cup Prelude (2000m) at Flemington and Group 1 Tancred Stakes (2400m) at Rosehill.
He trialled well when second in a 1200m heat at Randwick on November 7.
Illawarra Turf Club is also expecting four entries – Democracy Manifest, Osipenko, Shadizi and Waterford – from champion Sydney trainer Chris Waller.
Meanwhile, Lees notched his fourth minor placing in his hometown’s richest race when $41 outsider Brudenell was a gutsy third to dial winner Coal Crusher in yesterday’s $1m Group 2 The Hunter (1300m).
Lees also had thirds in supporting races with Pomelo Chamomile ($9) in the Max Lees Classic (900m), and Oakfield Wallaby ($26) in the Lees Racing Legend Mile.
There was no provincial winner at the 10-race The Hunter program, but Newcastle trainer
Dale Wagstaff continued his good recent run by scoring at the Bathurst TAB meeting with Farraige ($6) in the Benchmark 50 Handicap (2000m).
Apprentice Jordan Quince got the best out of the gelding to break through at his 38th start after 12 minor placings.
A five-year-old son of Cox Plate winner Ocean Park, Farraige was a $3250 purchase online last year, and earned $8150 for his Bathurst success.
Farraige is an acceptor for a Class 1/Maiden Plate (2000m) at Nowra tomorrow, and will carry 59kg if he backs up.
. Fellow Newcastle trainer Nathan Doyle was successful interstate at the rain-hampered Doomben fixture in Brisbane.
Australian Bloodstock-raced Silvanito ($8.50), ridden by Kyle Wilson-Taylor, posted his fourth victory in the CG&E Class 3 Plate (1350m).
Story John Curtis, November 16.2025









Comments