“HARRY” DEFINITELY STRONGER FOR HIS EVEREST CAMPAIGN
- Provincial Racing NSW
- Aug 18, 2025
- 3 min read
NEWCASTLE’S excitement machine Private Harry has come back “much stronger” for his path to the $20m The Everest at Royal Randwick in October.
That was the assessment this evening of the unbeaten four-year-old’s jockey Ash Morgan, who has partnered him in all five wins, culminating with the Group 1 The Galaxy (1100m) at Rosehill Gardens in March.
A week later than planned because of the wet weather, Private Harry trounced his rivals at Gosford this morning in the first of two trials planned by his trainer Nathan Doyle leading to a resumption at Randwick next month.
Clearly a class above his rivals, Private Harry breezed home by more than four lengths in the 1000m trial, clocking easily the quickest of the three Open heats.
He ran 60.52 seconds, ambling home his last 600m in 35.34s.
Private Harry was first out of the gates, settled outside Gogmagog and then forged to the front after leaving the 600m.
“I gave him one click and let him coast to the line,” Morgan said.
“Private Harry was always a strong horse, but you can easily feel he is definitely stronger now.
“They didn’t go quick enough for him in the trial, and I had to let him go to the front.
“The trip away did him good. He knew what he was there for.
“Whilst obviously it wasn’t the strongest trial in terms of the horses he beat, I’m sure he will still take good benefit out of it.
“Private Harry pulled up great, and got a lot of attention back in the stalls as he waited for other horses to trial before going home.”
TAB.com.au kept Private Harry as a $6 second favorite for The Everest (1200m) on October 18, and last year’s The Hunter winner Briasa (who also won a Canterbury trial this morning) remained third favorite at $8.
Kurrinda Bloodstock principal Sean Driver was at Gosford to watch his star sprinter trial, and could not have been more impressed.
“He is an absolute freak,” Driver said of Private Harry. “Ash was speechless when he got off him after the trial about how he felt.
“Nathan will look to trial Private Harry again in a fortnight, probably in Sydney, and then will give him an exhibition gallop before he resumes.
“He has planned two starts, both at Randwick, leading into The Everest.”
All going well, Private Harry will have his first start this season in the Group 2 The Shorts (1100m) on September 20, and then the Group 2 Premiere Stakes (1200m) a fortnight later.
The Shorts is run at set weights plus penalties (Private Harry will carry an extra 3kg because of his The Galaxy triumph), whilst the Premiere is a weight-for-age contest.
Private Harry’s stablemate Hidden Motive, another member of the Kurrinda team, also was to have trialled at Gosford this morning, but a foot abscess meant he stayed at home.
“Hidden Motive is fine and doing well now, but we didn’t want to take any risks with him,.” Driver said.
“He will trial again soon,” Driver said.
Meanwhile, Boston Rocks, yet another who races in the Kurrinda colours, will start next at Caulfield on Saturday week in the Group 3 The Heath (1100m) following his excellent first-up third in a Benchmark 100 Handicap (1000m) at The Valley on August 9.
Connections are keen to secure a berth in the $2m The Kosciuszko (1200m) at Randwick on the same program as The Everest with the four-times metropolitan winner.
Leading Newcastle trainer Kris Lees’ talented three-year-old Rivellino (Jason Collett) finished off nicely when third to Briasa in this morning’s 900m trial at Canterbury.
That was last season’s $2m Inglis Millennium winner’s second trial this campaign, and Lees is eyeing the Group 3 San Domenico Stakes (1100m) against his own age at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday week as the colt’s spring campaign starting point.
Stroy John Curtis, August 18, 2025










Comments