top of page
Search

EXPRESS DOUBTFUL TO RESUME IF RANDWICK GOES AHEAD

  • Provincial Racing NSW
  • Aug 21, 2025
  • 2 min read


TERRITORY Express is back “in a good headspace”, but on the doubtful list to begin a new campaign at Royal Randwick on Saturday if the meetings proceeds.

Trainer Paul Niceforo accepted with last year’s Provincial-Midway Championships Final winner for the Group 3 Show County Quality (1200m), and has booked Jean Van Overmeire.

However, he is reluctant to begin a new campaign with the now six-year-old gelding on a very heavy track.

“Territory Express is in great order, but I don’t want to risk flattening him as he hasn’t raced since last November,” Niceforo said this morning.

“He isn’t comfortable on heavy ground.

“We took Territory Express south earlier this year for renowned horseman Julien Welsh to do some work with him re his barrier issues, and it was very successful from that point of view.


“However, he was going to run in the Group 3 Shaftesbury Avenue (1400m) at Flemington in early March, but got a stone bruise and couldn’t run.

“We brought him home and he had a good nine weeks’ spell.”

Whilst Territory Express hasn’t trialled in preparation for his resumption, Niceforo has given him three jumpouts.

“Jean (Van Overmeire) has made himself available to ride Territory Express in the jumpouts, and deserves to ride him in a race.

“He knows the horse now.

“We will have to wait and see what happens with Randwick on Saturday.

“If the races don’t go ahead, perhaps it might be transferred or postponed to next week.

“There is a Benchmark 100 Handicap (1500m) at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday week, but he will most likely get 63 or 63.5kg.”


Niceforo is delighted with Territory Express’ program, and will keep blinkers on him whenever he does resume.

“He was going to race in blinkers at Flemington,” he explained.

Managing part-owner Maryanne Cram says Territory Express is in a really good headspace for his return to racing.

“Paul has done a lot of work with him in the last few weeks,” Ms Cram said.

. HOOFNOTE: Territory Express stood flatfooted and missed the start badly in the $1m The Gong (1600m) at the Saturday metropolitan meeting at Kembla Grange on November 23 last year, and still beat five rivals home.

Story John Curtis, August 21, 2025 - Pics Bradley Photos

 
 
 

Comments


© 2024 Provincial Racing NSW 
Powered by GoDaddy.com

bottom of page